Try these lifestyle tips to stay healthy and fight off the flu.
We all know how frustrating it can be to catch that bug that goes around every flu season. You’re home from work, you miss out on family activities, not to mention you just feel crummy. While there is no “cure” for the common cold or flu, eating well and living a healthy lifestyle will help ward off the germs to fight infection from the get-go!
Living Healthy is a Start!
A healthy lifestyle is the first essential step to keeping your body strong and healthy. Our immune system functions at its prime when we actively protect ourselves from the biological assaults we face every day.
Here are some healthy living guidelines:
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, plus whole grains
- Exercise regularly, even if it’s only a small amount at a time
- Drink alcohol in moderation
- Smoking is a no-no
- Keep within a healthy weight window
- Get plenty of sleep
- Cook food thoroughly
- Wash hands often
Diet Matters, Too.
In a day and age where sugar (or a derivative) is in everything, so it’s no wonder we all get sick so often. Too much refined sugar in your diet can hinder the white blood cells’ ability to do their job—to kill germs. The effects of sugar can immediately reduce the responsiveness of your immune system and strength throughout the day.
Foods that have artificial colors, flavors, dyes, sweeteners and chemicals or pesticides can also decrease your immunity and increase your body’s susceptibility to viruses. Stick with certified organic foods when you can, and read labels to watch for these toxic ingredients to avoid:
- Nitrates and nitrites (including sodium nitrite)
- Sulfites (including metabisulfites)
- Sulfur dioxide
- Benzoic acid (aka sodium benzoate)
- BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene)
- BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole)
- Coal tar
- Propylene glycol
- MSG (monosodium glutamate)
- Refined or bleached flour (i.e. whitened using chloride oxide)
My Top 5 Natural Immune Boosters
Adding these components into your daily diet can help keep your immune system in tip top shape:
To stay healthy this cold and flu season, take these simple steps to boost your immune system and you’ll be on the right track to lasting flu prevention!