This autumn colored loaf is loaded with all the necessary nutrients you need to start the year off right.
Carrot Apple Ginger Loaf
Recipe type: Snack
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup unrefined coconut oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup raw sugar or sucanat, or ½ cup local honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup coarsely grated carrots
- 1 cup coarsely grated apple
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl and beat them with a hand mixer.
- Add the coconut oil, applesauce, sugar/sucanet/local honey and vanilla extract; mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture into the liquid mixture, gently folding with a spatula until just combined. (*see notes below)
- Divide the batter equally between two greased, flour-dusted 5x9-inch loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool thoroughly.
*For a gluten-free version, use 4 eggs instead of 3 and 2½ cups of gluten-free baking mix, rather than the 3 cups of all-purpose flour. If you are using a gluten-free baking mix, you will want to thoroughly mix the wet and dry ingredients together and let it rest for about 5 minutes before proceeding to the next step.
To help you enjoy making semi guilt-free desserts, here is a laundry-list justification!
- Free range local eggs are a wonderful source of zinc and vitamin A, which are necessary for adrenal gland health, sulfur, which is necessary for detoxing, and nourishing Omega 3 fatty acids
- Coconut oil is antifungal and antibacterial
- Local honey is said to do wonders for environmental allergies
- Cinnamon helps to stabilize blood sugar levels
- Nutmeg relieves anxiety and insomnia
- Clove is anti-inflammatory
- Ginger aids digestion
- Carrots are rich in antioxidants
- Apples contain lots of detoxifying fiber
Want to add something special?
The bread itself is moist and delicious, but if you’d like go for it, here are the ingredients for a wonderful Cream Cheese Glaze:
Cream Cheese Glaze
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup confectioner's sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make the glaze, add the softened butter and cream cheese to a bowl and begin mixing.
- Be careful as you begin to add the milk- you may want to shield yourself from splattering with a tea towel.
- Ad the vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Pour the glaze over the whole loaf of bread, or spread on thick slices to serve.